Law Offices of Connie Yi, PC - estate planning
Tell Us About Your Case

For the safety of our community, clients and staff, we have suspended all in-person meeting effective March 17, 2020. All consultation meetings will be via Phone or Zoom Video Conferencing. Please contact us at 925-484-0888 or email us directly at [email protected] to schedule the consultation.

Bay Area Estate And Tax Planning Law Firm
Estate Planning
Trust Administration and probate
  1. You are here: Home
  2.  » 
  3. Estate Planning
  4.  » Foreign Guardianships

Law Firm Experienced In Foreign Guardianships

Children are vulnerable, but so are parents. If you aren’t sure that you or the other parent will be able to take care of a child in the U.S., you may need to consider a foreign guardianship.

At the Law Offices of Connie Yi, PC, in the Bay Area, we have the estate planning knowledge to help you figure out what arrangements are needed for your family and put them into place.

Give us a call to get started in a confidential consultation with a lawyer who is experienced in handling international estate issues.

What Types Of Legal Requirements Do You Need To Meet?

The process of creating a foreign guardianship is fairly formal. For one thing, the proposed guardian has to file papers with the court. Parents can nominate someone, but ultimately it’s up to the court to decide whom to appoint, based on the best interest of the child.

Of course, tricky issues can arise involving immigration or citizenship status. For example, you may want your child to return to your country of origin in certain circumstances.

California law does allow foreign guardianships. But it has to be done right — especially if you are a foreign national and want to take a kid back to your home country.

Our law firm has the knowledge needed to help you handle foreign wealth transfers and make the guardianship arrangements that makes sense for your family.

Get The Skilled Legal Help You Need

Call our office at 888-312-6978 or complete the brief online form to get in touch with a skilled attorney. With offices in Pleasanton and three other locations, we serve clients throughout the Bay Area. Connie Yi speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese.

Recent Blog Post

Is estate planning necessary for young people?

Misconceptions exist about the relationship between age and estate planning. Yes, older people may prioritize estate planning for reasons related to advancing age and health concerns. That does not mean only older California residents benefit from the process. Young...

What are the responsibilities of a fiduciary?

Residents of California may want to learn more about the role of the fiduciary and their responsibilities. Because fiduciary duty may be a requirement among certain professions, clients and professionals should know more about what this is. The meaning of fiduciary...

5 factors to consider when choosing a guardian

For parents, one of the biggest reasons they decide to create an estate plan is to ensure their child will be cared for no matter what. It isn’t easy to think about a tragedy where a child may lose both their parents before they turn 18, but parents have to plan for...

View More Blog Posts