Law Offices Of Connie Yi, PC
Tell Us About Your Case

For the safety of our community, clients and staff, we have suspended all in-person meeting effective March 17, 2020. All consultation meetings will be via Phone or Zoom Video Conferencing. Please contact us at 925-484-0888 or email us directly at [email protected] to schedule the consultation.

Bay Area Estate And Tax Planning Law Firm
Estate Planning
Trust Administration and probate


Gifting Money to Minors; What You Need To Know

| Jul 18, 2016 | Estate Taxes |

Many parents and grandparents want to help their children and grandchildren out financially and not have to put the money into a trust for later use.

Gifting thousands of dollars is easy to do when your children are grown adults and know how to handle money. But what is the best way to gift large sums of money to minors, those under age 18, for immediate use, but without incurring the gift tax?

The basic rule is that you can give $14,000 to each of your children annually. But the catch is that it needs to be a present interest. The receivers of the money cannot put it away to save for later use, especially when the sum is not in the hundreds, but in the thousands of dollars and you want to avoid paying gift taxes on that gifted money. (In most cases the donor, or person giving the money pays the gift tax).

In the case of gifting the annual limit of $14,000 (or less) to a child or grandchild, the donee (receiver of the money) has to have immediate use, possession and enjoyment of the gift. Here is where a gift differs significantly from a trust.

But handing over $14,000 to a twelve year old is not always feasible. So if the child is a minor then the gift needs to be put into a Uniform Transfer to Minors account at a bank or other financial institution.

Of course, older minors, for example teenage children and grandchildren, may have immediate financial needs- purchasing a car or an expensive travel situation- and in that case you may choose to simply give the child or grandchild cash so that they can start spending immediately.



FindLaw Network

Recent Blog Post

What are reasonable fees to charge as a trustee in California?

When implementing an estate plan in California, it is essential to ensure that you receive the proper compensation for the amount of time and work you are putting in. The probate court will look through the amount you charge to see if it is reasonable, especially if...

What to know about life insurance trusts

California families have an exemption for their estate that keeps it from being subject to income taxes. However, above that $11.7 million, the estate tax bill could get large. This is why they need to take measures to reduce the size of their taxable estate. Life...

Are estate taxes headed for changes?

Not every inheritance involves paying estate taxes, but some estates rise above the federal exclusion amount. California residents that feel familiar with state and federal tax rules might not realize changes could happen. Namely, proposals intended to raise tax...

View More Blog Posts