Law Offices of Connie Yi, PC - estate planning
Tell Us About Your Case

For the safety of our community, clients and staff, we have suspended all in-person meeting effective March 17, 2020. All consultation meetings will be via Phone or Zoom Video Conferencing. Please contact us at 925-484-0888 or email us directly at [email protected] to schedule the consultation.

Bay Area Estate And Tax Planning Law Firm
Estate Planning
Trust Administration and probate

Amending an old tax return

| May 13, 2016 | Uncategorized |

There’s something official about filing tax returns that makes them seem set in stone. But tax returns are amendable – and not just by the IRS. Just as the IRS can reach out to you to check on certain details or request certain forms, you can also amend your tax return to better reflect your financial situation.

Why would you amend the return? In some cases, you would do it to avoid the risk of an audit or penalties if you know you made a serious error. But many people amend returns in order to claim a deduction that they forgot or otherwise failed to take advantage of.

Let’s say that you bought your first home two years ago and paid a good bit of interest on the mortgage. When you filed the following April, you maybe didn’t realize that you could deduct mortgage interest, and overpaid as a result. You could file an amended return to reflect the omission, and would likely be entitled to a refund.

How long do you have? Generally, you must file an amended return (Called a 1040X) within three years of when you filed the original return. If, for some reason, you paid the tax after that time, you would have two years from the date the tax was paid.

Taxes can be complicated, especially when trying to dig up records from several years ago. Therefore, you might find it beneficial to work with a tax professional such as a certified public accountant. And of course, if you find yourself facing an audit or other scrutiny from the IRS, please seek the help of an experienced tax law attorney.


FindLaw Network

Recent Blog Post

Even a fortune can disappear without sound estate planning

Some figures baffle.Like the speed of light. Like the age and size of the universe. And like estimates pegging the personal fortunes of America's richest families.Consider this imagery relevant to the storied Vanderbilt family for a moment: a pile of money equaling...

Remarrying couples unquestionably need to focus on estate planning

Many remarrying California individuals fail to timely consider and update existing estate plans to reflect new realities.Don't be one of them. Many remarrying California individuals fail to timely consider and update existing estate plans to reflect new...

View More Blog Posts