Law Offices of Connie Yi, PC
Estate Planning
& Tax Law
Toll Free: 888-312-6978
Website Navigation Menu

California taxes: What determines residency?

If you currently live in California but used to live in another state, you may have noticed that taxes tend to be higher here. We get a lot of great services for that money, but paying state taxes can be expensive. So much so, in fact, that some people contemplate a strategic out-of-state move to avoid the higher tax rates - especially if they know they'll soon be coming in to some money (selling a business, selling real estate, settling litigation, etc).

Unfortunately, strategically giving up state residency is not as easy as it sounds. It can also be difficult to claim that you are not a resident of California if you spend considerable time here for business or personal purposes.

This was the subject of a recent article on the Forbes website. The article's author describes some of the considerations that go into deciding residency for tax purposes.

Who is a California resident?

Generally speaking, you are considered a Californian if you are in the state for more than nine months. You may also be considered a resident if you have a home here, even if you spend time outside the state "for a temporary or transitory purpose."

Here are some other factors that the California state government may consider when determining your residency status:

  • Where you own a home (including your "main" domicile, if you have more than one property)
  • Where you claim a homeowner's property tax exemption
  • Where your children attend school
  • Where your children and your spouse primarily live
  • If you or your children attend college in California, whether you pay in-state or out-of-state tuition
  • Where you are registered to vote
  • Where your vehicle is registered and where your driver's license was issued
  • Where you have a bank account
  • Where your important social, religious and professional organizations are located
  • Where you obtain services like medical care, dentistry, legal advice and financial advice

Before making strategic tax decisions, consult with a professional

If you answered "in California" to several of the above criteria, you are probably a California resident. Even if you move before making a big financial change, California tax authorities could still pursue payment from you.

Before making any major financial decisions for tax purposes, it is a good idea to discuss your plans with an experienced tax law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us Now to begin your initial consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

FindLaw Network

Office Locations

Law Offices of Connie Yi, PC
490 Post Street, Suite 508
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415-433-3350
Toll Free: 888-312-6978
Map and Directions

Additional Office Locations:
323 Ray Street
Pleasanton, CA 94566
Phone: 925-484-0888 
Pleasanton Law Office Map

San Mateo
1900 S. Norfolk Street, Suite 350
San Mateo, CA 94403
Phone: 415-433-3350
Map and Directions

1250 Oakmead Pkwy, Suite 210 
Sunnyvale, CA 94085 
Phone: 888-312-6978 
Map and Directions